The court in the Nizhny Novgorod region dismissed the criminal case against one of the persons accused of torture


17 May 2018

Today, on 17 May 2018, judge of the Volodarsky District Court of the Nizhny Novgorod region Irina Ermakova dismissed the criminal prosecution of former police officer Vitaly Starikov who was accused of torture, due to expiry of the statute of limitations for brining to criminal responsibility. Lawyer of acting authorized official for minors’ affairs Oleg Kashtanov who is also accused of torture, submitted a motion for the criminal case to be dismissed. In the opinion of the convict’s lawyer, during the preliminary investigation some mistakes were made.

(Lawyer with the Committee Against Torture Yulia Osipova and victim Sergey Lyapin)

The story of Sergey Lyapin, who applied for legal assistance to the Committee Against Torture on July 9, 2008, is as follows. According to Sergey, during the night of the 24th – 25th of April 2008 he was collecting scrap metal near one of garage blocks of Ilyinogorskoye settlement (the Nizhny Novgorod region). All of a sudden he was detained by security police officers from the Volodarskiy police department, as he was told, “on suspicion of committing thefts”, and delivered to the local police department.

According to the applicant, at the police department first he was beaten up, and then the police officers started to torture him with electricity.

“In order to increase the effect they poured water on electrical contacts and my hands. Several times I passed out”, – Sergey recalled.

Later the detainee was subject to the investigation formalities and the judge of the peace sentenced Sergey to 5 days of administrative arrest “for disobeying the police”, after that he was sent to a special detention centre to serve his sentence.

On 26 April Mr. Lyapin grew worse and from his cell he was taken first to a trauma station in Nizhny Novgorod, and then to hospital. There he was diagnosed with numerous injuries and traumas: concussion, chest contusion, thermal burns on both hands.

Upon the completion of two-days treatment course (Sergey never served full administrative sentence), Lyapin applied to the investigative authorities with a complaint against the actions of the police officers. However, the check that the Dzerzhinsky Interdistrict Investigative Department of the Investigative Committee under the Prosecutor’s Office of the RF for the Nizhny Novgorod region performed based on this complaint was highly inefficient. During one and a half years investigators issued at least ten refusals to initiate criminal proceedings, nine of these refusals were declared illegal.

Having exhausted all remedies for Sergey Lyapin at the national level, human rights defenders were forced to submit a complaint to the European Court of Human Rights. On 24 July 2014, the Strasbourg judges acknowledged the fact of Sergey’s tortures in their ruling, as well as established that the investigative authorities did not conduct an efficient investigation of this fact. The applicant was awarded a compensation in the amount of 45 000 Euro.

On 20 January 2016, the Presidium of the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation satisfied the motion for resuming the proceedings with regard to Lyapin’s complaint of torture due to the new circumstance – the European Court of Human Right’s ruling.

On 16 March 2016 investigator of the Investigative Department for Dzerzhinsk of the Investigative Department of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation for the Nizhny Novgorod region Roman Shamshutdinov initiated criminal proceedings based on the fact of Sergey Lyapin’s tortures.

During the preliminary investigation the criminal case was illegally suspended four times, due to which the indictment was sent to the Prosecutor’s Office of the Volodarsky District only two years after it was opened – on 9 April 2018.

In the course of today’s court hearing defendant Vitaly Starikov asked the court to dismiss criminal prosecution against him due to expiry of the state of limitations with regard to the alleged crime. Judge Irina Ermakova satisfied this motion, after that Mr Starikov left the court immediately.

Lawyer Rimma Andriyanova, who defends acting police officer Oleg Kashtanov, submitted a motion on dismissing the criminal prosecution of her client. According to her, during the preliminary investigation some mistakes were made.

With regard to this judge Irina Ermakova announced a break till 31 May so that the representatives of victim Sergey Lyapin would be able to prepare a well-reasoned stance on this motion.

The next court hearing is scheduled for 31 May 2018 at address: Nizhny Novgorod region, Volodarsk, Tsentralnaya St., building 3, start at 9:30.

Подтвердите, что вам есть 18 лет