In Orenburg the criminal case with regard to the police officers, previously returned back to the Prosecutor, is taken to court again


19 January 2017

The Dzerzhinsky District Court of Orenburg once again received a criminal case against two criminal investigators Albert Akmanov and Vasiliy Zoubikhin, charged with committing the crime under items «а, b» part 3 Article 286 of the Criminal Code of the RF («Abuse of office with the use of special equipment»). Last month after eight months of judicial proceedings this criminal case was returned to the Prosecutor for corrective measures.

(Vyacheslav Sadovsky, Maksim Nimatov and Anton Ferapontov)

As we have previously reported, on 27 August 2008 Vyacheslav Sadovskiy, Maksim Nimatov and Anton Ferapontov applied to the Orenburg office of the Committee Against Torture. They reported to human rights defenders that on 25 August 2008 they were detained by the police, taken to the Dzerzhinskiy District Department of Internal Affairs where they were battered and brutally tortured. For the whole night police officers were trying to obtain confession statements from them related to a number of different crimes: from the robbery of the beer stand to murder of the police officer. According to the applicants, in addition to «standard» battery the police put gas masks on their heads and blew cigarette smoke into the tube, hung them by the hands and legs tied behind their backs, everything was accompanied by battery with truncheons.
The victims state that the tortures lasted till the morning of August 26. The detainees were deprived of sleep and if they started falling asleep they were hit on the head.

The victims’ parents and other relatives, having accidentally learned that their sons are detained by the police, kept the watch near the building of the Dzerzhinsky District Police Department. It is worth pointing out the fact that for a long time the police tried to convince them that their sons were not in the building of the District Police Department.  In the evening the police allowed the lawyers to see the young men. Despite the fact that the police officers threatened them with harsher treatment in case they change their testimony, the young men in the presence of the lawyers reported that they were forced to incriminate themselves under torture and to sign some procedural documents required for the authorities’ representatives.

The police officers illegally detained the young men for over 24 hours without making any charges. After the young men were released they first went to the first-aid station, and then to hospital, where the doctors registered all numerous bodily injuries: all the three were diagnosed with hematomas, bruises, joints dislocations, one of them was diagnosed with cerebral concussion, Vyacheslav Sadovsky had a broken rib, and Anton Ferapontov had a broken nose.

On the next day all the three young men and their parents applied to the investigative authorities with a crime report. The victims also applied to the Committee Against Torture for legal help.

Despite the traumas, confirmed by medical documents and numerous testimonies of witnesses who saw the young men without any bodily injuries at the moment of their apprehension, and testimonies of witnesses who saw the beaten up victims covered in blood taken out from the building of the Dzerzhinsky District Police Department, the investigative authorities dragged their heels initiating the criminal case. The check of the crime report that should have been conducted within three days lasted over five and a half years. No less than seventeen times the Investigative Department issued refusals to initiate criminal proceedings, which were declared illegal after the Committee Against Torture lawyers’ complaints.
Human rights defenders also managed to prove in court that the young men apprehension was illegal and to collect from the state the compensation for moral damage incurred by this illegal action.

Taking into account the persistent reluctance of the investigative authorities to investigate this incident at the national level, in spring of 2014 the members of the Committee Against Torture had to lodge a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights on behalf of the applicants. Practically at the same time when it was lodged on 9 April 2014 the investigative authority initiated the criminal case based on the fact described above.  The investigation of the case was assigned to the first department for investigation of major cases of the Investigative Department of the Investigative Committee of the RF for the Orenburg region.

On 17 December 2015 the Dzerzhinsky District Court of Orenburg started to examine this case.  For eight months of judicial investigation fifteen court hearings were conducted, during which all the evidence available in the case were examined, the defendants, victims and numerous witnesses were questioned. Judicial investigation, as main part of the judicial proceedings, was conducted in full scope. 

Oral arguments were scheduled for 5 August of this year. However, in the course of this court hearing State Prosecutor Svetlana Trofimova submitted a motion asking to return the criminal case to the Prosecutor’s Office to rectify the breaches of the indictment. In the opinion of Mrs Trofimova it was not complete: no details of illegal actions of each of the defendants were provided, since the defendants’ actions correlate with the bodily injuries of each of the victims, which is a violation of the defendants’ right to know what exactly they are accused of.  

The court satisfied this motion and the criminal case was returned to the Prosecutor. After corrective measures with regard to investigation and indictment approval were applied the criminal case was sent back to court for examination of its merits.

«Since the period of limitations for criminal prosecution for the alleged article expires in August of next year we are going to submit an application addressed to court chairman to expedite the examination of this criminal case», – lawyer of the Committee for the Prevention of Torture Evgeny Litvinov, who represented the interests of the victims, comments.  

Подтвердите, что вам есть 18 лет